Thursday, April 9, 2015

Communist Ponies?

An Orwellian dystopia in a show for little kids, you say? Communist ponies, you say? You are equal parts right and wrong. While the season premiere of season 5 of MLP:FIM does closely resemble such books as 1984 and Animal Farm, it isn't exactly Communist. If it were, the society presented in the episodes would have allowed for the ponies to keep their talents as long as they used them for the greater good; serving crappy muffins helps no one. How would that be different then normal pony society helping everyone? Normal pony society is capitalist, exchanging bits for goods and services. Communism can't work under its own edict that everything belongs to everyone. Citing the Chinese movie To Live, their mistakes came not from everyone having the same abilities (or no abilities) but from shunning established practitioners of medicine and the like, leaving people to die at the hands of the less-experienced and the incompetent (certainly not the intended result).
It's certainly been an odd month so far, but an awesome one. Red vs Blue came back with their 13th season, now airing Wednesday nights instead of the usual Monday nights. Homestuck is entering its final stretch on the 13th, as per tradition. Every week, we're getting a new MLP comic called Fiendship is Magic, which so far has supplied the backstories of Sombra and Tirek (next are the Sirens). Sombra would probably been okay if he hadn't been left in the Crystal Kingdom, since being in close proximity to the Crystal Heart made him physically ill (seriously, anywhere else and he probably would have been fine). Tirek, on the other hand, was always a bad guy, or at least an unrepentant power-hungry douche.

I'd have another Kingdom Hearts fan fiction vignette to put here, but I'd imagine people are sick of me posting stories about certain people sleeping or not sleeping or being sad and other people comforting them. It's called "Waves," and I think I'll keep it to myself. Nothing really new there. I am working on a short story from Xemnas' point of view, though. I don't really have enough information to write a completely accurate account, but I know enough so that it doesn't ring false either. Originally it was going to be Xemnas x Saix, but I thought better of it...mostly because I didn't know how it would start (most of what I've seen doesn't involve any sort of initial contact). Everything I could think of just didn't seem right for their characters; one's distant, the other desperate, but there's no logical way for me to put them on a path together and have it be believable.

No comments:

Post a Comment