Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Extended

Mikage continued to watch over Zexion as he slept. The next day, he noticed that she hadn't been sleeping at all. "Hey, you look like you haven't slept since we got back."
"I haven't. Who knows when they'll try again," she replied.
Zexion shook his head. "No. We'll sleep in shifts. It's my turn to look after you." He let her sleep in his bed while he sat and read at the end of it.
Saix came in looking annoyed. He knew he couldn't do anything to them while they were in the Organization's castle. Zexion looked up from his book and scowled. "What do you want?" he whispered tersely.
"I have a message from the Superior," Saix informed him in a low voice. "Axel will be held accountable for his actions once he is found or returns to the castle himself." Zexion only nodded in response; while they couldn't prove Saix was the mastermind, it was clear to him and Mikage who had really put Axel up to the task.
Saix glared at the sleeping form in the bed. "Why isn't she back in her cell?"
"Xaldin said she was relieved of duty so she could stay by my side." Zexion didn't like where this was going.
"For now. Perhaps she has outlived her usefulness."
"That's not true. Let her rest."
"Not like she's done anything to deserve it," Saix muttered under his breath as he turned to leave.
After Mikage awoke, Xemnas approached the two of them in the hallway. "I trust you received my message?"
"Yes, Superior," Zexion responded.
"I expect great things from you going forward."
"Right."
Xemnas addressed Mikage. "It's high time you went back to your cell and resumed your regular duties."
"But-" Zexion began to protest.
"It's okay, Zexion," Mikage interrupted him. "I don't want to break any rules." Nearby, Xaldin watched her walk away; he could guess what the Superior was talking to Zexion about.
"Were you about to say something, VI?" Xemnas asked.
"I wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for her," Zexion explained. "We still don't feel safe after the attempt on our lives, so we've been watching each other sleep."
"I understand. I will instruct the Dusks to watch over you both."
Xaldin chose that moment to intervene. "Pardon me, Superior. I must tend to the patient's bandages."
"Very well. I would like you both to know that the loss of our comrades affects me deeply. However, I require the two of you to carry on in their absence." He patted Zexion on the shoulder as he left. "Rest well, my young friend."
"Right. You heard him. Scoot," Xaldin said, ushering him back to his room.

No comments:

Post a Comment