Sunday, September 21, 2014

Nostalgic Game Shows

In a world where Alex Trebec had a mustache and Vanna White had to turn letters around by hand...
...these were the game shows we loved to watch...
Nickelodeon used to have Games and Sports on extended cable, and during that time I got to relive (briefly) some of the game shows my friends and I rushed home from school to watch (and sometimes bet snacks on). Legends of the Hidden Temple was one of them, and thanks to templeshirts.com you don't have to be a former contestant to wear the team shirt of your choice. Then there was Guts - Global Guts. I liked Global Guts better because kids from around the world were included in it (although regular Guts did occasionally have competitors from the UK). Mike and Mo were the perfect hosts (although nowadays those guys from Wipeout are pretty funny as well). Nick Arcade was another show I don't remember much about except for the games.
Carmen Sandiego had at least two versions of its game show - Where in the World and Where in Time. I think I liked World better because of it being the original format and I liked Lynne Thigpen and the host of that one better. And who could forget Rockapella? I once saw them in concert at a festival where my grandparents lived. I liked this show so much I even kept pictures I drew of the different criminals on my bulletin board as a Most Wanted type of thing.
The last big game show I remember watching a lot makes me feel like kind of a weirdo, even if I am a girl. Supermarket Sweep was actually a cool show in my opinion. My favorite part, like in all the other aforementioned shows, was the final level or round. The bonus prizes were inflatable objects like brand mascots or products scattered all over the store, and as soon as you found one you had to run it up to the front and then continue what you were doing before time ran out. If the guys at blamesociety films are looking for story ideas for Chad Vader (you know, in addition to funding), they should maybe give this concept a try if even just once. I'd like to see Chad's reaction to this. Would he be into it or think "Not in my store!"
There was another VR game besides Nick Arcade that I remember watching where the final round involved navigating a huge maze while a computer voice told you where to go as you were more or less blindfolded or something. I can't remember the name of it though

Encarta's Mind Maze
The Carmen Sandiego game show may have been brought to us by Encyclopedia Brittanica, but Encarta is a source of educational entertainment as well. This game makes me think of the ones PushingUpRoses does in her Let's Plays. No instructions but easy to figure out as you go along. There's a spot on the grid and you have to go through the doors to rooms they provide in order to get there, answering trivia questions worth more points the harder you set it to. There are rooms with several doors and dead ends, but you have five torches next to the grid that you can click that will show you the correct path and they are all given back to you at the next level. There are people to talk to along the way, but they don't say anything that will help you. Sometimes it's funny, but mostly is annoying and you don't click on it except when you're bored or getting too many of the questions wrong (there's never any punishment for getting them wrong, only a time/points limit so guess as much as you want). The king is like the creepy Burger King doing a Captain Morgan pose and asks you questions about his approval rating - just like a politician. They say other things too, but nothing is ever that interesting or important.When you earn enough points to win the game, there's supposedly a conference in the throne room held in your honor, but instead you get this mixed message that you can either choose to leave now or stay forever, and then the game sends you back to the start screen. That's only on level one. Level 2 ends with an invitation to the feast; level 3 ends with knighthood; and level 4 ends with you being sent home but with the promise to return at a later time. Well I guess that's one way to spend a rainy afternoon. Thank you, Carmen Sandiego. I don't even know if you're actually supposed to go to each and every room because at the end of a section you can go upstairs or through another door and go to more rooms on the same level; some are dead ends too. The hell?

No comments:

Post a Comment