Saturday, September 20, 2014

Frozen Review

I liked it just fine, though there were some aspects of it I didn't like (the trolls, the girls' parents, Hans). I'd give it a nine out of ten. I still think it would have done better as a Broadway musical instead of a Disney movie. I got a kick out of seeing Dave Boat's name in the credits as an additional voice. Just like in the Call of Duty games, he gets to be a background voice.
Am I the only one who thought it was creepy when the troll wanted to keep Kristoff in the beginning (like Casper)? I thought he was so kidnapped but I guess the other ice farmers weren't his family. I didn't think the trolls' song was necessary either - we already had Olaf's song as a distraction, we didn't need another. That's not to say I didn't like Olaf - he's cuter than Elmo. The king and queen didn't have a handle on Elsa's situation, which made me wonder what her early childhood was like from birth. Since we find out at the end that Elsa can control her powers with love and the feeling of joy, it leads me to believe her parents didn't love her enough, and not in the way that makes her a villain either. In fact, they made Elsa pretty much a carbon copy of Elphaba from Wicked. That's not a bad thing, but it still bugs me a little. I wouldn't say her parents got what they deserved when they died, but I did not shed any tears over them either.
The plot did bother me, though. It could have gone in different directions, and I think I would have preferred them. It could have gone the Princess Diaries 2 route, which would have been just fine with me. I didn't like Hans' sudden shift in personality. Based on how he was since his introduction, it didn't make much sense to have him attempt premeditated murder out of nowhere. Whether he was the third or thirteenth in line, it shouldn't have mattered; Kyoya from Ouran High School Host Club wouldn't have even considered it. In addition, he couldn't have planned running into Anna and saving her in the beginning, especially if he didn't know what either sister even looked like. An evil person wouldn't have done that. It would have been better if he were like Nicholas from Princess Diaries 2 or Prince Edward from Enchanted. They didn't have to make him evil; there was already someone trying to take over, but I guess they didn't want to make it obvious. Despite her willingness to get engaged to the first man she met, I think Anna was a pretty strong princess when it came down to it, going after her sister to apologize and all. She worked together with Kristoff rather than him having to carry her the whole way.
I'd said before that I seen a dub of a Russian version of The Snow Queen that had Mickey Rooney as the narrator; that sounds exactly like it came from my childhood. Otherwise, the only things I recognized were the Snow Queen herself and the font for the title (yes, the font on the video thumbnail is what got my attention - I really am a nerd). The kids' names were Kai and Gerda, which were the names of two background characters in Frozen. So Disney did that on purpose. But Jaedis from The Chronicles of Narnia is also a rip-off then because the Snow Queen taking Kai away on her sled was sort of like the White Witch taking Edmund away. If that's even how the original story even went. This Snow Queen would be a match for Maleficent too based on what she said to Kai (like what Maleficent said to Riku). The other voice actor I knew was Kirsten Dunst as Gerda (she was Judy from Jumanji, Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service, and Mary Jane from Spider-Man). Also Jason Gray-Stanford was an additional voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment