Saturday, September 20, 2014

Tails and Tales

Alpha and Omega 3 Review
I wouldn't say this is a bad movie, but if you're interested in this trio of short follow-up films (this being the second) then you don't really care do you? Since I wasn't going into this one expecting much, I wasn't as disappointed as last time. I guess they made it back okay from the Christmas one, though I don't see anyone else from the pack around except for a different one of Humphrey's friends. Otherwise it's sort of a disjointed mess of sports movie cliches. The coach of the opposing team is a jerk; his daughter is afraid of him and only speaks through her brother Fleet. At first Fleet is cocky and looks down on the main three and their pack, repeating to Claudette that she's not as good as her mother (like what Myrtle said to Lilo in Stitch has a Glitch before Stitch let Lilo beat her up). Meanwhile, Humphrey's only problems are being middle-aged and not liking that Claudette is flirting with Fleet at the end (not a drawn-out conflict, just one of those "Hey!" moments). "You're not allowed to date until you're your grandma's age!" Ouch.
The premise is that the western pack is boycotting the Great Games because it has become too dominated by alphas. In fact, their pack's alphas have gone on a hunting trip while the Games are going on. The main three form a team with critters (a bear and a porcupine) anyway, and there doesn't seem to be anyone preventing them from doing so. I guess they're just less likely to win, making them the underdogs. At first you'd think Kate wouldn't be appearing since all the alphas are out but she somehow hears about it and comes back. The other coach berates Humphrey, the western pack coach, for being an omega male married to an alpha female, but this doesn't bother him. The other coach is bitter because he lost to Kate when they were kids and so pushes his kids too far, as Magril gets hurt and Fleet openly defies him in the end. Again, not bad, but certainly not "Great."

Tales
I liked Tales of Vesperia from what I've seen of it (the last third). My favorite characters are Yuri and Rita. It is very easy to mistake Yuri for a girl, however, as his face and hair remind me of Zakuro from Tokyo Mew Mew. My boyfriend's favorite game is Tales of Symphonia, which I like too but not as much (only seen the first third though). His favorite character is Lloyd. I like both Lloyd and Sheena because their voice actors (Scott Menville and Jennifer Hale) were Zack and Ivy in Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego. Presea is Tara Strong, so I guess I like her too somewhat. I was really into the Carmen Sandiego series when I was a kid, so if I had known about this game when it first came out I would have been all about them.
The reason I keep coming up with these flashbacks to Ienzo's childhood is to give him some time with his real parents and show how they interacted with the other apprentices. I could update the "Make a Man out of You" story (the last thing Quizilla allowed me to publish) to add that the daggers he gets (pre-production before development team gave him his book) used to belong to his father. Incidentally, the protagonist of Xillia 2 wields similar weapons and kind of looks like what I imagine Ienzo's father to look like (especially if you add Rowen's glasses).

No comments:

Post a Comment