Friday, September 19, 2014

Sandwiches and Immortality

I went on a trip by train last summer. I like trains, though the recent problems with Amtrak and the ridiculousness involving my hometown's platform relocation displacing a small business by right of eminent domain puts a bit of a damper on my enthusiasm. It's like that big plane crash in 1996 that made me afraid of flying, except I've been on trains before. Anyway, since the trip was 6 hours, I had to put snack ideas together, and store-bought sandwiches ended up being part of it. I really like sandwiches too, so I could go into all the different ones I've had at Subway. Usual is roast beef with lettuce pickles and mayo or a BMT with the same but with tomatoes instead of pickles. There's also BLT on flatbread, and although I didn't think anything of the pepperoni and meatball combo it actually tasted pretty good. If it's raining I go for tuna on wheat.
Update: Of course, now that I legitimately have what amounts to a heart disease, even though it's an electrical problem and not a "plumbing" problem, I've switched to turkey on Italian herb and cheese. It's like a salad on a sandwich.
Mequite barbecue chips vs honey barbecue chips - one's tangy, the other's sweet. Either way, my mouth is now on fire after trying to figure out which one is better. This can only be remedied with tea and white chocolate.

Lately I've been thinking a lot about a book I had to read for school once called Tuck Everlasting. The main character Winnie Foster is given the choice to become immortal by drinking from a spring on the Tucks' property until they are run out of town. Winnie is in love with the seventeen-year-old boy and so that choice weighs on her mind as well. In the end, she doesn't drink from the fountain and is dead when the Tucks return years later, having lived out her life. Not choosing immortality is what makes her a better person than Twilight's Bella Swan. You can argue that she's only ten years old when this happens in the book and in the 1981 movie, which I had to watch in school as well, but then in 2002 Disney put out another version and made her fifteen years old. It kept the same ending with her not choosing immortality, though.
Now that I think about it, Elizabeth Swan is a better character than Bella too, even though many complain that the plot of the first Pirate trilogy revolved more around her than it did Jack Sparrow. And if you don't like me comparing all these franchises together, then you'll really hate me comparing the characters in the early seasons of NCIS to the Boxcar Children (because Gibbs treats his teammates like family...sort of).

No comments:

Post a Comment