Saturday, September 20, 2014

Female Voice Actors That Defined My Childhood

During my Popples review I mentioned that I liked Linda Sorenson and Louise (Stevie) Vallance, who voiced my favorite characters. After I got the Internet at my house when I started high school, I found imdb and the former incarnation of tv.com, tvtome. I began to notice just how many times certain actors and actresses popped up in what I watched growing up. I later lost the notebook I was using to keep track, but here are some others that stood out.
http://s62.beta.photobucket.com/user/ShadowGalactica/media/samevayay.jpg.html?sort=3&o=121

Sonja Ball voiced, among other characters, Polly from the dubbed Samurai Pizza Cats. It was my first anime, and I caught it as the last of the re-runs were airing before it was taken off for good. I was pretty upset at the time, and I even ended up watching some kids show she was in just to hear her voice. Then I started watching Pokemon and slowly got over it.

Terri Hawkes voiced three different characters in the Care Bears cartoon, but she's probably best known for being the voice of Sailor Moon. Coincidentally, the voice actress for Sailor Jupiter had also voiced a Care Bear. I'm not going to chronicle every VA from Sailor Moon, but when you hear them somewhere else it's pretty obvious who they are (and if it's not and you find out later, you're in for a surprise). While I wouldn't say Terri voiced any of my favorite characters (since I've already mentioned Linda Sorenson as my favorite before), she certainly is iconic and has probably blown out her fair share of microphones with all the screaming that was required of her.

Kath Soucie and Tara Strong still appear in a lot of cartoons, and they are just as good now as they ever were. When I was growing up, they were everywhere. However, the one voice actress to top them all that I couldn't wait to get home and listen to was Tress MacNeill. She was known for, among other roles, Babs Bunny from Tiny Toon Adventures and Dot from Animaniacs. She was also Arnold's grandma in Hey Arnold, Angelica's mom from Rugrats, and she was even in The Land Before Time movies at some point. Today she's still everywhere, including additional and recurring roles in Futurama.

My favorite actress of all time would have to be Madeline Kahn, though. She died of cancer when I was in middle school. Aside from one of the Cosby shows, the last thing I remember watching with her in it was A Bug's Life, and that's part of the reason why it's my favorite Pixar movie. She also played Mrs. White in Clue, my favorite character from that game (if you thought it was impossible to LARP that game, you were wrong). As mentioned previously, she was also in An American Tail.

Oh my gosh, I forgot Candi Milo! She was Crystal in Scooby-Doo and the Alien Invaders, Irma from W.I.T.C.H., and Cheese from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends! She's awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment