Friday, September 19, 2014

Love/Hate Friendship is Magic

I've liked MLP:FIM less and less since about midway through season 3. The episode titles in season 4 have been atrocious, and most of the episodes themselves have left me cold. I understand that they wanted to take the show in a new direction, but I'm just not that interested anymore.
So much went wrong with Twilight's Kingdom, but a lot went right too. I liked this two-parter overall, especially Discord's arc where Twilight finally acknowledges him as a friend. I liked Discord's original appearance as well as his initial return, but this episode made me like him even more despite him being a Deus ex Machina of sorts. He was just like Zelos from Tales of Symphonia or Braig from Kingdom Hearts - a traitor who is still accepted by his friends afterward (I guess that would include Iago in The Return of Jafar too somewhat). He could have been a little more flamboyant when talking to Fluttershy though, as in "Later, girlfriend!" My favorite part about the key box was when Pinkie yelled at Boneless and chucked him at her key hole. Two of the things I couldn't stand about the finale were the destruction of the library and the fleeing of Owlowicious. We don't see him coming back at the end, so that just seemed like a jerk move on his part, like he was abandoning Twilight. The castle that grows back in its place is no consolation, even if the throne room for the Mane Six and Spike resembles that of the Justice League. The Rainbow Power designs can also go straight to hell...or Tartarus I guess. They make the Rainbow Rocks designs look better by comparison. I guess we'll just have to see what kind of state Ponyville is in when season 5 rolls around and hopefully the show will have gotten better (not going to hold my breath, though, executive meddling being what it is - to make and sell toys).

Favorite Episodes:
Number 1- Read It and Weep (season 2 episode 16)
Number 2- Hearth's Warming Eve (season 2 episode 11)
Number 3- A Canterlot Wedding parts 1 & 2 (season 2 episodes 25 & 26)
Number 4- The Best Night Ever (season 1 episode 26)
Number 5- Winter Wrap-up (season 1 episode 11)
Number 6- The Crystal Empire parts 1 & 2 (season 3 episodes 1 & 2)
Honorable Mention: Luna Eclipsed (season 2 episode 4)

Favorite Songs:
Number 1- "Art of the Dress" Suited for Success (season 1 episode 14)
Number 2- "Winter Wrap-up" Winter Wrap-up (season 1 episode 11)
Number 3- "This Day" A Canterlot Wedding part 2 (season 2 episode 26)
Number 4- "At the Gala" The Best Night Ever (season 1 episode 26)
Honorable Mentions: "The Success Song" The Crystal Empire part 2 (season 3 episode 2); and "The Ballad of the Crystal Ponies" The Crystal Empire part 1 (season 3 episode 1)

Pony Ranking - Mane Cast:
Number 1- Fluttershy
Number 2- Twilight
Number 3- AppleJack
Number 4- Rarity
Number 5- Rainbow Dash
Number 6- Pinkie Pie

While my least favorite episodes are the CMC episodes, they are also my favorite episodes of the Mentally Advanced Series and Friendship is Witchcraft. My cutie mark would be an open book if it wasn't already a dead leaf. It's what I was born with. I'd rather be a blank flank. Also, Hasbro should steal Tim Gunn [and Wayne Brady] away from Disney's Sofia the First to do guest spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment