Friday, September 19, 2014

Teen Titans Go! Review

I was skeptical of this series, even though it brings back all five original voice actors. The TV guide description of the first episode didn't thrill me in the slightest - "Raven embarks on a quest to make the perfect magical sandwich." Shockingly, however, the writers of my local paper got it wrong again. After watching this episode (and the next two) at my brother's request, I found out that Raven did not want to make a sandwich. She wanted the others to shut up about sandwiches and leave her alone so she could watch My Little Pon- I mean, "Pretty Pretty Pegasus" (of course they made her a closet Pegasister, since her voice actress is Tara Strong, aka alicorn princess Twilight Sparkle). Naturally, she sent them on a quest to retrieve the ingredients for the legendary sandwich so she could indulge in her guilty pleasure without interruption. Also, in his quest to retrieve the pretzel bread for the sandwich, Robin accidentally ran over and crushed a cardboard cutout of Batman at the grocery store with his cart because it had a broken wheel. In the next episode, we also find out Bruce had his license suspended because he crashed the Batmobile and then it exploded; the others laugh at his pain, mostly because he'd been annoying them all week by being a brat. Another highlight was Trigon trying to win Raven over to the dark side by acting like a sitcom dad to fool everyone; had this lasted a whole half hour, they could have taken it more seriously or at least brought up the Pegasister thing again, like so: "Destroy your friends!" "But friendship is magic, Dad." "Don't start with that! No daughter of mine will watch that accursed show!" (though Malcolm and Rachel already did that beautifully as the Devil and Evilina). This show is stupid as it doesn't take itself or the Titans seriously, but it has its moments, including some references to the original cartoon, even if they are a bit wasted.
My favorite Teen Titans episodes are Nevermore, Fear Itself, Spellbound, Hide and Seek. Yes they are all Raven episodes. This was not done on purpose. I just happen to like those particular episodes. No I did not include her story arc from season 4. I chose these episodes for fun, not plot. But then Teen Titans Go had to ruin Nevermore for me in one of their recent episodes. I did like the reference to Fear Itself in Meatball Party though (the order in which they were devoured).

No comments:

Post a Comment